Our guests are Doyen Nguyen, OP, MD, STD and D. Alan Shewmon, MD. They join us to discuss troubling development on the legal treatment of brain death.
Dr. Nguyen was previously an academic hematopathologist and is currently a Catholic moral theologian and bioethicist. She has authored books and articles both in medicine and in moral theology/bioethics and authored a 600-page monograph that takes a critical look at brain death from a variety of perspectives.
Dr. Shewmon is Professor Emeritus of Pediatric Neurology at UCLA. His work, comprising decades of well-documented clinical observations and reflections, is now known as “Shewmon’s challenge,” a compelling rebuke to the principal arguments put forth to defend the concept of brain death.
- Shewmon DA. “Chronic “brain death”: Meta-analysis and conceptual consequences.” (in Neurology, 1998)
- Lewis A, et al. “Determination of Death by Neurologic Criteria in the United States: The Case for Revising the Uniform Determination of Death Act” (in J. of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, 2019)
- President’s Commission for the Study of Ethical Problems in Medicine, Biomedical and Behaviora Research. “Defining Death” (1981)
- Nguyen D. The New Definition of Death for Organ Donation: A Multidisciplinary Analysis from the Perspective of Christian Ethics. (2018, Amazon link)
- Nguyen, D. “Does the Uniform Determination of Death Act Need to Be Revised?” (2020, Linacre)
Ep. 35 Why Brain Death Isn’t Death: An Introduction to “Shewmon’s Challenge” (with guest Alan Shewmon, MD)
Ep. 45 Brain Death at the Bedside (with guest Fred Rincon, MD)
WATCH ON YOUTUBE:
Watch the episode on our YouTube channel
SUPPORT THE SHOW:
Make a small donation on our Patreon page on and join our discussion group or receive a free book.